School was founded in 1873 and was the first middle school in the city of Kremenchug. His discovery was only possible thanks to charity. Smirnov merchant bequeathed the city of Kremenchug 35 thousand rubles for the spread of education. Of this amount, City Council spent $ 15 thousand for the purchase of land in the Little Meshchanskaya Street, and the rest of the project was commissioned by the project special educational buildings and office buildings. Project author – Civil Engineer II Brusnitsky, supervised the construction on the site of the city architect Alexander Nesvitsky.
The work was completed in 1878. It was one of the best buildings of the Kiev school district. Thanks to the Small College Middle-class street got the name – Uchilischnaya. School gave a practical education. Graduates could enter it only in the higher technical education. General education in secondary school ended in fourth grade, the fifth – began specializing in two offices – the main and commercial. After completion of six core courses, students of the seventh additional class were distributed into three departments: general, mechanical and chemical.
Of the total separation graduates enroll in technical institutes, and technical departments of engineering out the second category. Contained a school due to tuition fees, grants from City Council (10 thousand) and county zemstvos (more than 5 thousand rubles a year) and budget (more than 30 thousand rubles per year). In the late 19th century were about 300 college students, led by State Councillor I. School Dzyublevsky-Dzyubenko. Honorary trustee, usually a city mayor. In Kremenchug Alexander secondary school in 1908-1914 years. studied future famous Ukrainian writer, one of the founders of Ukrainian Soviet prose Golovko (1897-1973). In 1914, for participating in an illegal literary circle Golovko was expelled from school. In Kremenchug in 1919 published one of the first collections of his poems, 'Gems'. Tells about the memorial board mounted on the building in 1978. In 1930, the former secondary school opened Institute for Social Education (later the teacher). On the eve of the war there were about 1,000 students. Worked more than 50 teachers, including 2 professors and two associate professors. Training was carried out at several faculties: Philology (Ukrainian and Russian language and literature), French, English, physics and mathematics. The Institute operated chair bases Marxism-Leninism, physics, mathematics, pedagogy, French, German, English, Russian, Ukrainian language and literature. Research Library had more than 65 thousand books. shortly before the war had been built next to Institute – a hostel. In 1934-1935. Faculty at the Institute for Ukrainian language and literature studied Sukhomlinskii B. (1918-1970) – Ukrainian teacher, corresponding member of USSR Academy of Pedagogical Sciences, Distinguished Teacher of USSR, Hero of Socialist Labor. The retreating Nazis burned down the building and restore the institution after the war failed. In the charred box located Button sewing factory, and after the restoration of the building – in 1961 the Order of Friendship of Peoples Kremenchug Flight School Civil Aviation Authority (now the Flight College), which trains pilots and technicians for the civil aviation helicopters. In 1988, near the old building was built new building. But for its construction had to be dismantled the only surviving pre-revolutionary mansion in the street – home of Prince Serebrianskii.